HQ update: links & loves
We’re skedaddling for the holidays so we’re leaving you with this list of things to read and do till we return in January. Here’s hoping your end o’ year is merry and bright, full of fun and delight!
Learn: interesting links
- Robo-dogs, 3D-printed decorations, and interactive light installations! The Obamas’ holiday decorations are totally geeky.
- Decorate with code! And light up a tree in your state or territory.
- What do a wooly mammoth and Amelia Earhart’s flight suit have in common? They’re among the first objects you can learn about in detail on the Smithsonian X 3D Explorer, without a trip to the museum.
Explore: activities for everyone
- What makes a house a home? Our first activity sheet for Homes explores the objects people use in their houses around the world.
- Draw a floor plan of your home and turn it into a treasure map in the second activity sheet for Homes.
- Make a game of what you learned in The Human Body: test your senses and see how your nervous system helps you understand the world around you.
- Find additional activities here.
Play: recommended apps
- Hunker down and draw with Doodlecast, a visual storytelling app, recommended by Raul Gutierrez, CEO.
- Craft a tale with photos, video, and audio recordings with the app VoiceThread, recommended by Kika Gilbert, Head of Community.
- Listen up and learn about the mind’s ear with Sound Uncovered, an interactive book app, recommended by Katie Ahern, Education Specialist.